A Quick Question for You

How much of the world’s water resources are potable?

A.15 percent

B.22 percent

C.Less than 1 percent

D.3 percent

E.36 percent

Credit: jon gos








Yes that’s right – less than 1% of the world’s water is fit for human consumption. Here’s the breakdown:

Of the total of the Earth’s water, 97.22% is in the oceans. That leaves 2.78% of fresh water on the planet. Of that 2.78%, 2.146% is found in frozen glaciers, so not available to tap. Freshwater lakes make up .009%, streams and rivers .0001%, and accesible groundwater (i.e. less than 762m/2500ft deep) makes up the majority of available potable water at .305%. It is thought that 1/8th of the world’s population does not have access to safe water supplies.